Thursday, September 4, 2008

Mommy Brain

This syndrome begins "Pregnancy Brain" and has progresses to "Mommy Brain." I am writing about the phenomena surrounding caring for another human being and the incredible strain it places on your mental aptitude. The symptoms include, but are not limited to: the inability to carry on an adult conversation, the loss of math skills (we're talking grade-school level here), and general ineptitude. Surprisingly, subjects' symptoms seem to disappear when questioned about their own children.

The first trimester I was tired and oh, so very, very dumb. The second semester, still tired but a bit better in that department... still quite stupid. Well, I had my baby and just about the time things started to improve after the birth of said child from within my body and the hormones began to subside. I could almost carry on a conversation of pre-pregnancy caliber again when sleep deprivation began to take its toll.

I don't mean to imply that I am or was the intellectual or conversational equivalent of... Mommy Brain has struck again. Most days ask me my age, name or any other relevant information and I won't have a clue. I may stare at you expressionlessly. And yet, through all this I can remember every aspect, every detail concerning my child.

No comments: