Wednesday, September 17, 2008

DFW

So, my dear husband had some sad news for me this morning (actually he told me when I was asleep last night and I apparently replied but just-in-case he told me again this morning). David Foster Wallace is gone. We both feel as if we lost someone we know. What a shame to lose such a talented writer long before his time. So many literary greats have blinked out over the last few years. And with the snuffing-out of each one, we feel a little more alone in this world. We lose a voice which rose above the cacophony to describe our situation, to allow us to understand a bit of our own existence. I guess I want to say "Thank You" to all of them - DFW, Vonnegut, George Plimpton, and Hunter S. Thompson - off the top of my head. You are sorely missed.

I keep hoping it's all a ruse.

Check out his
commencement speech
for Kenyon College 2005.




Think on it.

No comments: