Monday, March 8, 2010

Mothering Mondays - A Break

No, I'm not taking a break from this blog (again). I am just reminded through my conversations with other mothers how hard we can be on ourselves. I found myself incredibly depressed, depriving my child simply because I was trying so hard to be that perfect mother. I stressed over the words-per-hour she heard, whether or not I was playing the right games or music... I found myself reading about what I should be doing, feeling guilty I wasn't doing it rather than just doing what came naturally.

Giving yourself a break can be incredibly liberating. Sometimes that means going to get your "hair done" (my break of choice when I can manage), other times it means that a dinner from scratch isn't going to happen, or just allowing yourself to enjoy being a mother, relaxing and taking a deep breath. Being there for your kiddos is all they really need or want.

No comments: